Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thankful Thursday Take Three

7. Tolerance: I was at a Fourth of July get together over the weekend and there was a couple there I had never met before. About five minutes or so after meeting them one of my friends asked them if they liked to watch Modern Family. The girl replied that they didn't watch it because the boy "doesn't like gay people." My eyes got all buggy but I managed to keep my mouth shut. The boy then tries to defend himself and says that it's not all gays, just those crazy flamboyant ones. Again, bug eyes. The girl says he would rather scrub the kitchen floor than watch gays. I just looked away and kept my mouth shut.

Normally I would ask a few follow up questions to a statement like that but instead I just shared a knowing look with my husband. He was thankful I stayed quiet and didn't cause a scene. But really, I didn't know it was acceptable to say things like that at a casual social gathering. What if I said my husband didn't like black people but that it was ok because he just didn't like the really dark ones. I know that this argument doesn't seem like it is along the same lines to some people, but to me it is. I just wish people could be more tolerant and this week I am thankful that I am and that my husband is as well. If he had not been as offended as I was, I know I couldn't be with him.

8. Country Music: When the right country song comes on the radio, it is hard to beat. I was sitting in traffic on my way home and Jo Dee Messina's Fool Hearted Man came on the radio and I started JAMMING. I haven't heard that song in years but I still knew all the words! Country music reminds me of summers in Maryland - they just make me happy. So I'm thankful I took my husband's car to work today and didn't just play my CD's because then I would have missed belting out some country tunes!

9. Peanut Butter and Jelly: I wasn't feeling so hot today and just didn't know what I wanted for lunch. I walked over to the little cafe in the office building next to mine and saw they had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Boy did that sound good to me! Then, to make it even more amazing, the woman making the sandwich asked if I wanted grape or strawberry jelly!! I never expected them to have choices and I LOVE my strawberry jelly, so the sandwich was extra special!! Sometimes the smallest things are the greatest!

No comments:

Post a Comment