No, for once I'm not pissed off about anything, it is just the name of a song I happen to love. It is by David Ford and I was belting it today all the way to work. There is one line in the song that sticks out from the rest for me - "I never treated you so mean, like that's a reason to be proud."
When I first heard this song a few years ago I was still struggling with the, at times, tumultuous relationship I had with two good friends. I was thinking back on ALL the things that had hurt my feelings over the many years and started to feel wronged all over again. I felt like I wasn't at fault because I never did anything as horrible as they did. But then I realized, that is not the standard. You should never strive to "not be the worst". It really helped me move past those issues and let go of the "scorecard" if you will.
If you watch The Real Housewives of New York you might remember a moment this season when Jill said she couldn't make up with Bethenny because she didn't have her notes with her. That's how I used to be. Mentally remembering every time anyone ever wronged me in any way. I could always counter your argument and give you an example of how bad you treated me. I could remember where we were, what we were wearing, etc., etc. My god, what a weight that was.
So today I was reminded about how much easier it is to let things go and appreciate how much relationships can grow when you allow each other to make mistakes without holding it over their heads.
No comments:
Post a Comment